Over the last couple of months I’ve silently added new one-liners without letting you know. What a dick! Every now and then I also get e-mails with new suggestions for one-liners, but most of them are, how should I put this… not that good. But a couple of days ago, I got a long list of great ones from one Simon Elms. Here are the ones I added to the one-liners collection:
- Linux is only free if your time is worthless.
- “The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true.” - James Branch Cabell
- “Life is a sexually transmitted disease” - R. D. Laing
- If you take something away from users, they’ll sneak it in the back way.
- “Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from a religious conviction.” - Blaise Pascal
- “Patience has its limits - take it too far and its cowardice.” - George Jackson
- “I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.” - Pablo Picasso
- Old ideas got that way because they proved useful.
- It always takes longer and costs more to fix it later.
- Faster hardware doesn’t solve business problems - unless the business problem is slow hardware.
- Systems aren’t made from metaphors, paradigms and methodologies. They’re made from code, wires and hardware.
- “Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” - Leo Tolstoy
- “Boys will be boys, and so will a lot of middle-aged men.” - Kin Hubbard
- “Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live” - Damian Conway
- “The computer was born to solve problems that did not exist before.” – Bill Gates
- “A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.” – Emo Philips
- “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” - Mark Twain
- It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
- “Both optimists and pessimists contribute to society. The optimist invents the airplane, the pessimist invents the parachute.” - George Bernard Shaw
- “I can resist everything except temptation.” - Oscar Wilde
- “You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.” - Winston Churchill
- “It’s not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what’s required.” - Winston Churchill
- “Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that’s not why we do it.” - Richard Feynman
- “I don’t care to belong to any club that will have me as a member.” - Groucho Marx
- “I intend to live forever, or die trying.” - Groucho Marx
- “It’s not that I’m afraid to die, I just don’t want to be there when it happens.” - Woody Allen
- “Any fool can know. The point is to understand.” - Albert Einstein
- “It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded our humanity.” - Albert Einstein
- “The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.” - Albert Einstein
- “You may delay, but Time will not.” - Benjamin Franklin
- “Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It’s the transition that’s troublesome.” - Isaac Asimov
- “The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not ‘Eureka!’, but ‘That’s funny …'” - Isaac Asimov
- “Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” - Isaac Asimov
- “There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don’t believe this to be a coincidence.” - Jeremy S. Anderson
- “Look to the future, because that is where you’ll spend the rest of your life.” - George Burns
- Resistance isn’t futile, it’s voltage divided by amperage.
- “Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” - Arthur C. Clarke
- Light travels faster than sound. That’s why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
vegard at vegard dot netwith your input. You can also use any of the other points of contact listed on the About page.
|2010-05-13 12:53 CET|