Since 2013 is creeping up on us, let’s talk new year’s resolutions. Last year I had two (text scraped from last year’s wrap-up):
- Run more. This doesn’t necessarily mean that I’ll use more time on exercise, but the times I don’t really feel like spending two hours at the gym, I can jog for 45 minutes instead.
- Smile more. This is probably The One Cliché, but it really has something to it: I saw a documentary about a paramedic a couple of weeks ago and the guy was smiling and friendly to everyone. And I’m not talking that kind of friendly that makes you want to punch the guy in the face. He managed to balance it perfectly and all I wanted was to be his friend. Yeah, I even think I had a slight man crush. This year I’ll try to smile more, not to attract man crushes, but to test the theory that it’s impossible to be in a bad mood with someone who smiles at you.
How did I do? Let’s start with the second one, smile more. I think I managed to keep it up for about a week before I returned to my usual grumpy self. To be honest, I hope people don’t see me as grumpy as I sometimes feel, though. In 2013 I will continue my quest to smile more; science has showed time and time again that smiling is contagious.
As for running, I did fairly good. According to Endomondo, I ran 125 kilometres, which is not a lot but considerably more than in 2011, when I ran only 16 kilometres. On top of the 125 kilometres running come the 1309 kilometres I biked last year. Not too bad. I’m hoping to keep running in 2013 and break my 125 kilometres record, and hopefully push my time per kilometre below 5 minutes.
But that was last year. What’s in store for the 2013 new year’s resolutions? One thing is for sure, 2013 will be more ambitious than 2012:
- Spend more time with friends to make sure they know I’m still alive. I’m terrible at maintaining relations, but I will try to do something about this next year. Hopefully without being too intrusive.
- Go to more concerts. I’m listening to a lot of music and through Spotify and Last.fm, I’ve discovered a lot of great artists. See my 2012 summary, for instance. Some of them come to Oslo to play concerts, and I more often than not fail to go see them. When I actually do, 9 out of 10 concerts are great. So in 2013 I’ll try to see some of these talented people. I’ve already got tickets to Biffy Clyro’s February 22nd show in Oslo. They’ve even got a new album, Opposites, coming out on the 28th of January. Through the Spotify Songkick applications, I should also be updated on other concerts happening.
- Take a picture a day. This one is going to be hard. As Anniken pointed out, I can’t just take pictures of my computer screen and going to and from work. The two first resolutions might help me out a little, but I still think I’ll have a hard time taking 365 exciting pictures next year. I’ve made the necessary frontend and backend changes to this website to upload pictures with the necessary metadata and display them, so you should be able to follow my progress through the year.
So there you have it. Come on, 2013, I’m ready for you!
This post has no feedback yet.
Do you have any thoughts you want to share? A question, maybe? Or is something in this post just plainly wrong? Then please send an e-mail to
vegard at vegard dot net with your input. You can also use any of the other points of contact listed on the About page.
|2012-12-30 12:21 CET|