Yes, yesterday was the big day. I'm now in my forties.
When I turned 30, I also wrote a post, appropriately titled “The Big Three Oh". It contains a few bullet points summarizing my universe at the time:
- I’m still enjoying playing video and computer games.
- Getting kids is still a very distant idea.
- I don’t want to buy a motorcycle yet. But maybe that’s what men do when they get to 40, not 30.
- Marriage is right up there with the whole kids thing.
- Politicians still confuse me.
10 years later, a lot of things have definitely changed, while other things haven’t changed a bit. The revised lists goes like this:
- I still enjoy playing video and computer games, although it’s been ages since I turned on my PS3 for gaming. It’s mostly being used for movies now, and notice that I never made the jump to PS4. These days, it’s PC gaming all the way. I play much less than I did 10 years ago, though.
- I’ve got two kids now!
- I don’t want to buy a motorcycle yet. Maybe that’s what men do when they get to 50, not 40.
- I’m actually married! Who would’ve thunk it? Not this guy.
- I’ve pretty much given up on politics. Lately, it’s been an unbelievable mess, both at home and abroad.
So there you have it. Quite a lot has happened during the last 10 years. As I’m now entering the half-way point in life1, I’m in reasonably good health both physically and mentally, have no real worries, exercise semi-regularly, sleep well at night, and have a loving family.
What more can a scrawny guy with a rapidly receding hairline ask for? Nothing.
Publishing this post the day after my birthday might come across as a bit weird. For me, it’s completely natural. Getting any kind of personal attention stresses me out. How much does it stress me out? Anniken talks about a surprise party, I’ve told her it’s grounds for divorce. I’ve also kindly asked my friends to burn any invitations they might get. I do what I can to keep a very low profile when there’s a chance I’ll get any attention. Like when I’m turning 40.
And there’s no point in congratulation me now, since we all know any congratulations after the fact doesn’t count!